INVICTUS

I am master of my fate, I am captain of my soul (from a poem by William Ernest Hendley)
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul ( quote by Ella Wheeler Wilcox)

Wednesday 23 November 2016

Trying To Be Healthier 2

Towards the end of May 2016, I made up my mind that I have to do something about my obesity. My BMI reading a lot of the time was around 30 or slightly more. At my heaviest I weighed 72 kg. I was already in the obese category. For someone who is 1.53 m tall, I should weigh around 58 kg only.
A lot of the time, I was in denial. I still think my weight was not really that bad. Oh, it was just the beginning of the obese category, just a little, not to worry so much. No, no, I wasn't really obese, just a little overweight actually. 

There are a few things that made me realise that I weigh too much and I really need to do something about it. Firstly, I've been reading too much health information to ignore the truth about my weight. Secondly, I've been witnessing too many cases of lifestyle diseases that go out of control to people close to me. Thirdly, when I look at my nephews and nieces, I realise that they are precious to me and I do not want to burden them with having to take care of me if I fall sick all the time. Short illness is OK, but not chronic long-term serious illness. Of course, that being said, I might still face such illness, I do not know, but at least I must make an effort to be healthier first, before I leave it to fate. Will be good for me and will be good for my family too. Being old does not necessarily mean that you have to be sick. Knowledge is at our fingertips nowadays. You just have to search to find out and learn. Fourthly, even in my old age, I still want my freedom of being able to take good care of myself and my pets, to be able to travel a bit and to be able to move around by myself, to be able to read to my heart content. The freedom that I have right now. This freedom is the thing that constitutes wealth to me. Money is important but I do not need tons of them. I do not need big car or a big house. I do not need a lot of jewelry. I have some Pandora charms, yes, I adore them. As I get older, more and more, I like to be in jeans and T-shirts. 

Can be clearly seen in these selfies that I was very much overweight

Around May my weight was down to 68 kg but it was fluctuating like a yo-yo. Third week of May I decided to cut down sugar and carbohydrates. Which was no easy task because the main bulk of Malaysian cuisine consists of  carbs, sugar, and oil. So breakfast would consists of boiled or fried egg, may be 1 slice of bread and some stir-fried vege which I prepared beforehand and keep in the freezer. Coffee or tea is black, no sugar, no condensed milk. Soft drink is prohibited as it is laden with sugar. Having breakfast outside is a challenge really. Nasi lemak, roti canai, meeehon, mee, kuetiaw, capati, nasi kerabu are all high in carbs. Usually I ended up eating just the ayam rendang and leaving out the nasi lemak. All kuih and sandwiches are off limits too. Lunch is easier if you I eat outside. I can choose vege with fish or egg without rice. At home I began cooking more, Lots of vegetables, I have always love vege, so the shift is very easy. Where fruits are concerned, care has to be taken not to take in too much fruits which have high sugar content. I take butter, coconut oil, olive oil and coconut milk in my food. These are considered good fats and they help you feel satiated. It is a pity, that coconut oil, which used to be the regular oil we used for cooking in Asian countries are now replaced by a whole lot of vegetable oils as prescribed by western societies. If you are trying to lose weight, read up about the goodness of coconut oil as food and its many many good properties. I have to read a lot to make sure I eat right in order to lose weight but I must also make sure I have enough nutrients to support myself. I believe that different people respond to different method of losing weight. You have to find out yourself which one.

By September my weight was down to 60 kg. I was jumping for joy. But I also realised that losing weight is one thing but maintaining it is another. This is not a fad diet that after you lose weight you can go back to eating everything you fancy unlimited in quantities. To be healthy I need to take care. I still need to restrict calorie and I need to be wise what I eat. Plant-based natural food is good, processed foods should be reduced, carbohydrates should be reduced. I do not have sugar craving anymore. Once in a while I still have my favourite cheesecake but I do not crave them intensely like at the beginning of the diet. I weigh around 59 kg now. My blood pressure is most of the time down to 120/80 which is good for a person my age. My BMI is around 25 now. I feel much better and the pain in my left arthritic knee is very much lessened. Understandable, as the heavier you are, the bigger is the force pressing down on your knee. I intend to take care of my weight. It is good to be lighter. You can move faster, you have more energy, clothes fall better on you and it does wonder to your self-esteem.


Losing some weight. These are my latest selfies.


No comments:

Post a Comment