INVICTUS

I am master of my fate, I am captain of my soul (from a poem by William Ernest Hendley)
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul ( quote by Ella Wheeler Wilcox)

Tuesday 18 August 2020

Meditating On Sounds

Trying my hands at writing simple poems in English. This is my first.



















Of Sounds In The "Now"

I sit comfortably on the wing chair

totally put my weight on the chair, limbs all loose and heavy

I close my eyes, else it compromises what I hear

I hear the whirling of the ceiling fan and the stand fan

feel the cool air circulating around me

oops...... I hear the movement of my kids' flap door

probably my orange boy coming in, too hot outside

and then Adik Comot  is meowing

a motorbike passing by, then another motorbike

there's a distant heavy vehicle 

a  car passing in front of my home, 

another distant vehicle much heavier, much bigger probably

another motorbike, another car some distance away

some bird, maybe a crow, or is it a raven?            

another car, another bike, another bike

another big motorbike, another car, another bird

all the while the whirling of the fans is major

there's the Azan, it's 13.23 hrs...............and so on, and so forth.


Beautiful, warm sounds of life passing all around me

totally, absolutely, no comment, no judgement, no labelling from me

Well, to the best of my ability that is 

(to subdue the mind is like holding onto the rein

of a very energetic young horse)

just letting them pass by me

like debris, flotsam, wreckage in a river 

a little weight is lifted from my heavy heart

even if it is just a matter of minutes.


I realised now

how much I was carried away in the race for targets

achievements, accumulations, possessions,

rushing here rushing there

hurry, hurry, hurry I always need to arrive at destinations

when I arrived, I was flabbergasted

for there are more destinations to be achieved

but I don't even know how I got there

I've totally forgotten about the previous journeys.


Nearby Tam is napping

or is she?

or she too is meditating like me?

she is just a feline

but may be much more profound as a divine entity

nearer to the Lord than I will ever be.


No comments:

Post a Comment