INVICTUS

I am master of my fate, I am captain of my soul (from a poem by William Ernest Hendley)
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul ( quote by Ella Wheeler Wilcox)

Sunday 18 June 2017

Adik Comot

Hi everyone! My name is Adik Comot and I am about three. In full, my name is Adik Comot Comel Benjamin. Wan Nyah reassures me, time and time again, that it is never her intention to disrespect or to snub me with the name Comot. It is a typical Malay name for felines with colouring similar to mine. In fact, it is very much a term of endearment for a very much-loved pet. When Wan Nyah was a kid, cats had simple names like Itam, Putih, Belang, Tompok, Kontot, etc. Nowadays cats have names that are long and sometimes quite a mouthful to pronounce. The "Adik" in my name is because I am the youngest of her 3 cats, while Benjamin is our family name. Wan Nyah added the "Comel" because according to her I am quite photogenic in most of my photos. Well, bragging aside, I think I agree with her on that 😀😀 he he he.


      Me, presently. Who would believe that the skinny kitten (image under 
       the third paragraph) was actually me at about 4 months old 





When you are healthy, happy and secured, you will feel great and you will look great. I think that is the case with me, Tam and Mickey. We were originally strays. Just ordinary domestic mixed-breed cats, but we thrive under Wan Nyah's love and care. To Wan Nyah, love and affection, however, should be unconditional and should never depends on looks, physique, breed or how expensive one was acquired. Wan Nyah often tells us that we are forever her kids and she will always love us. In health, in sickness, in youth, in old age, even if we are not pedigreed felines, good-looking or not good-looking. Every week Wan Nyah goes to the pasar malam or to the grocery shop to buy fish for us. She buys quite a lot, like 5kg or 6kg, which constitutes our fresh fish ration for a week. She would choose the freshest of fish available. Strangers would often ask her, if she is berniaga or she is making laksa. When she tells them the fish are for her cats, people repeatedly ask "Are they Persian cats? Bengal cats? The must have been very expensive". Wan Nyah is very offended and pissed off with such remarks as "Kucing kampung je?". The idea that only pure-bred expensive animals deserve good nutrition and tender loving care. Wan Nyah loves her cats because she loves animals, she raises her cats, she bonds closely with her cats and her cats are a part of her family. Being part of her family means her pets deserve the love and care of a family member. Even if she has the money, Wan Nyah would be reluctant to buy her pets, because there are so many strays all around us that need rescuing. Unless of course, the aim is to free the animals from being paraded in glass display cases in pet shops. Nowadays when people ask her the same question about the fish, Wan Nyah would answer "I'm making laksa for my 3 kids".

Well, back to myself, I came into Wan Nyah's life somewhere in the middle of 2014. I was very thin and had a bad case of diarrhoea. While foraging for food, I got separated from my mum and was wandering near Wan Nyah's backyard. She took me in and nursed me back to health. After vaccinating and spaying me, Wan Nyah tried to find a home for me but was unsuccessful. She then decided to adopt me as she felt that I too was meant to be her cat, just like Mickey and Tam. So, Wan Nyah's vow of not having another another cat ever again, which she made after losing her beloved Ben, flew swiftly out the window. Losing a pet is of course very tough, but then that is part of the natural cycle of life. In order to help other animals, Wan Nyah has to accept that reality. She may not be able to help many many animals but at least she helps me, Tam and Mickey and just look at the contentment on our faces nowadays.



    When Wan Nyah first found me


     A very hungry kitten


   After a month, blossoming into a sweet girl
  



     Tam the Cheeky trying to intimidate me

I am quite an affectionate feline. I always love rubbing myself against Wan Nyah every now and then. I would lie down near her when she reads or when she writes on her laptop. Even if she is retired, Wan Nyah likes to get up early because she feels the quietness of early morning hours is very spiritual and suitable for introspection, contemplation and meditation. Around seven, for about 45 minutes, she would tidy up the house and the compound as a simple form of exercise. All 3 of us would follow Wan Nyah everywhere, as she sweeps the compound, waters the grass and the plants, does whatever little gardening in our tiny backyard and tidies up the upstairs 2 rooms. It is also playtime for me and Tam. We would be running, jumping and wrestling one another, just like kittens. Bro Mickey just watches as he is a bit lazy. I am also inquisitive and likes to explore the house and the surrounding. The upstairs rooms have some bookshelves and a lot of boxes which Tam and I consider our playground and our bedrooms during the rainy season. I am not scared to venture into all the nooks and crannies of the rooms. Sometimes I find some awesome spots to relax and to sleep, under the bed, on top of the bookshelves or in some boxes. Mickey claims some of those those spots are his. I pretend I am ignorant and I just go and enjoy that particular corner nonchalantly. Sometimes I clash with Mickey but Wan Nyah always come to my rescue and scolds Mickey for smacking me. Mickey is a bit grumpy at times but when he is in a good mood he would playfully chase me around the house. He never catches me though as I am faster on my paws. Sometimes, a little mania overtakes me, I would be sprinting all around our tiny house from top to bottom, for no apparent reason. These euphoria episodes, lasting about 5 to 10 minutes, usually takes place very early in the morning when Wan Nyah is still asleep.

Where food is concerned, I am similar to Mickey. We are not fussy and we eat whatever Wan Nyah prepares for us. Kibbles are always in the food bowl though I am not very partial to it. Twice a day Wan Nyah feeds us steamed fish to ensure that we have a balanced nutrition. Wan Nyah believes that it is not very healthy for cats to eat only kibbles. The carbohydrate content in kibbles tend to make us fat. So far, me and Tam, we maintain our figures but Mickey is quite chubby. I used to have a rather weak stomach before but the condition is very much improved now.



   Wan Nyah loves doing collage and this is one of our Hari
     Raya cards for 2017 or Hijrah 1438


 
     Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri 1438/2017 from me, my siblings
       and Wan Nyah

So, this is my story so far. I have been with Wan Nyah, Mickey and Tam for about 3 years. I adore Wan Nyah and my siblings too. I pray that Wan Nyah will have lots more healthy independent years ahead of her. May she has more than enough money always for the expenditure of the four of us, her health care, her books, her little travels, her donations for other animal causes and her all other needs. May she has the means to foster more stray animals in future as animal welfare is always close to her heart. Wan Nyah considers 2017 as a good year for her and she is very very thankful for all the blessings in her life. The economic situation is indeed very worrying but Wan Nyah says we must not lose sight of the simple things in life that we often take for granted. Me and my siblings pray that many more amazing things and auspicious delightful events are in store for our very beloved human.

Today, Sunday, 18 June 2017 is the 23rd day of the fasting month of Hijrah 1438 and also Father's Day. Next Sunday, insya'allah, we will be celebrating Hari Raya Aidilfitri. So, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri, maaf zahir batin, from me, my siblings and Wan Nyah, to all our online/Instagram/FB buddies consisting of various species, humans and otherwise as follows:

- Chewie, Achor, Tumi, Nunen, Kapas, Lala and gang of Putrajaya Colony, Kak Ain & Abg. Zam
- Casper in Sri Kembangan, Abg. Usup & Kak Farah
- Jibul the Otter, Christmas, Benny, Chot, all the other animals in Chandan, Kak Kin & Abg. Khairi
- Casper, Lela, Lily, Leggy, the 2 new puppies, all the other dogs, the fowls, the birds, the goats,         Along at the chicken farm in KS
- Ek, Adik, Tam the Cat and gang, Mak Andak & Uncle Amir
- Jack and his gang, Kak Ziela
- Chico and his gang in Ampang, Untie Lina

We absolutely adore all of you, Selamat Berbuka Puasa.



        Me at one of  Mickey's favourite spots

No comments:

Post a Comment