INVICTUS

I am master of my fate, I am captain of my soul (from a poem by William Ernest Hendley)
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul ( quote by Ella Wheeler Wilcox)

Tuesday 13 March 2018

Port Klang Wet Market


Yesterday I went to the wet market in my town. Actually I needed some cash and I went to the Maybank cash machine. Since I was already there and the kids' fish ration is finished I might as well go to the wet market. Usually I buy their fish at the grocery stores near my home. The market is about five-minutes walk from the bank. Port Klang has the small town feel, even though actually it is just 38 km from the capital city.

The market (Pasar Awam Pelabuhan Kelang) is situated in a dilapidated building along Jalan Sungai Aur. Just like Port Klang town itself, the market has that disreputable, derelict air about it. Of something old and decrepit that has not been well taken care off. Something struggling to survive, like an old frail person battling chronic inflammation all over his body. There are a lot of empty lots especially at the fish stalls. The food court next to it is almost deserted. There are signs everywhere that it is a hard time and many people are struggling, the traders themselves, as well as the people who come to shop there. I think my hometown Kuala Kangsar has a much more bustling wet market.

Old town like Port Klang has its own charm, despite its untidiness and its broken-down bits here and there. I have been staying in Bandar Sultan Suleiman, which is about 7 km away for the past 20 years. Port Klang is my town now, it is where my home is and will be, god willing,  for a long time. Even though my siblings and my nephew and nieces have been urging me time and time again to move back to KK, to be near them, I am still reluctant. My heart is just not into it.




No comments:

Post a Comment